One of the topics that fascinates me is the way we are adapting our lives to respond to the changes wrought about (largely) by technological advancements. There is a generation growing up that are technology natives and who might not know of a life before social media, smartphones, video and music streaming, etc. We are already hearing about how, led by this generation, people are:
- Purchasing less cars, preferring to use shared mobility services
- Delaying (perhaps indefinitely?) the purchase of real estate for personal use, preferring to rent instead
- Looking for interesting and fulfilling work to do, rather than a job
- Preferring to spend on experiences, instead of assets (live music concerts, niche travel, etc.)
- Exhibiting greater awareness of willingness to lead a more sustainable life
I am not sure if all of these are definite long-term trends or a short-term reaction to the present stimuli. I am also not sure if all of these hold true globally, or are specific to a country’s state of development and specific economic conditions.
I hope to read and learn more about these trends and be able to express some views over the next few weeks.